We hosted a Memorial Day picnic last Monday for my family. It was so much fun and all that cooking and BBQ-ing got me amped up to grill out….All. Summer. Long! Well that and maybe the fact that we had a little stretch of almost 90 degree weather here in Buffalo. Ugh!! It was so hot and sweaty and don’t even get me started on that humidity girlfriend!! All the more reason to shut off the oven and take the cooking outside. We absolutely love to grill just about ANYTHING…..meat, veggies, heck even a dessert or two. But you don’t have to be a grill master to whip up one of my favorite summer sides, Foil Packet Italian Veggies. You guys!! This mixed veggie medley is simply AMAZING!!! I love that it has a little bit of everything so makes everyone happy. AND of course since it cooks in a foil packet it’s easy clean up, which I am all about too. This versatile vegetable mash up is lightly seasoned, cooks up perfectly tender in a matter of minutes, and pairs well with just about anything you can toss on the grill. Fire up the grill and let’s get cooking!
Here’s all you’ll need: red, yellow, and orange peppers, baby carrots, green beans, plum tomatoes, white vinegar, olive oil, dried oregano and pepper.
Minimal prep work is all that’s needed to take your weeknight dinner from boring to fabulous! Foil Packet Italian Veggies are great because they’re easiest enough to whip up for your gamily any night of the week but also a colorful side dish that will impress your guests. First we need to cut the peppers into thin strips. I like to use 3 different color peppers because they’re just so pretty!! You could swap out with a green pepper, or do all reds, whatever combination you like is fine by me!
Next add the peppers to a large bowl. Add the carrots and the beans and toss to combine. Baby carrots and pre cut beans will shave a few minutes off your prep time. When it comes to grilling and summer cooking my motto is the easier the better!! So cut those corners when needed!
Roll our a sheet of aluminum foil, think approximately 24″X12″ in size. I ALWAYS have the heavy duty stuff on hand. It’s the best to grill with! Spray the foil with regular ‘ole kitchen cooking spray. Spread the veggies over top leaving a few inch gap around the outside. Then quarter the tomatoes and place then on top. Seriously look how gorgeous this dish is already!!
Next in a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, oregano and pepper. You can really use any seasoning that you like. Basil or Rosemary would also be a great to try! Mmm! Italian seasonings are my favorite! Pour the mixture over top of the veggies. Make sure they’re all covered!
Place another piece of foil (the same size approximately 24″X12″) on top of the veggies. Fold over the edges a few times to form a packet. Be sure that the edges are sealed tightly. If you stick with me and my blog recipes you’ll be a foil packet wizard by the end of summer! Love those things!!
Place the foil packet on a preheated grill, over medium heat and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are tender. My grill cooks H-O-T so 17 minutes was just about right on the money for our grill. Keep the grill covered throughout cooking.
With oven mitts or heat safe gloves, carefully unfold the edges of the foil packet. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Serve on this lovely foil platter or transfer to a serving dish. There’s nothing better than a plate full of fresh summer veggies!! If you love skipping the dishes as much as I do then you’ve gotta try our Cheesy Grilled Potatoes!
Foil Packet Italian Veggies
- 1 each medium sweet red, yellow, and orange peppers julienned
- 1 cup fresh baby carrots
- 1 cup fresh green beans
- 4 plum tomatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Step 1 Cut the peppers into thin strips. In a large bowl, combine the peppers, carrots and green beans. Toss to combine.
- Step 2 Roll our a sheet of aluminum foil, think approximately 24″X12″ in size. Spread the veggies over top leaving a few inch gap around the outside. Quarter the tomatoes and place then on top.
- Step 3 In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, oregano and pepper. Pour the mixture over top of the veggies.
- Step 4 Place another piece of foil (the same size approximately 24″X12″) on top of the veggies. Fold over the edges a few times to form a packet. Be sure that the edges are sealed tightly.
- Step 5 Place the foil packet on a preheated grill, over medium heat and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the veggies are tender. With oven mitts or heat safe gloves, carefully unfold the edges of the foil packet. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape. Enjoy!!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below!
Shop this recipe!