If you like sweet potato fries, then you’ll love Grilled Sweet Potatoes! I’ve always been a sweet potato fan whether they’re fried, baked or all dolled up in a holiday casserole, but grilling them puts it on a whole new level for me. Grilling not only highlights their natural sweetness but also leaves behind a charred and smoky flavor that just tastes fantastic. This healthy and delicious recipe is a nice change of pace to your dinner routine and beyond easy to prepare. We’re talking on the table in a matter of minutes! The potatoes get a head start in the microwave and finish on the grill right alongside with your main course. This one’s a keeper for sure! And don’t skip out on the creamy Gorgonzola spread. It pairs wonderfully with this simple grilled veggie.
Here’s all you’ll need: sweet potatoes, Gorgonzola cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and chives.
Wash and scrub the potatoes and then pierce with a fork. Leave the skins on, there’s no need to peel. Using the fork make several deep incisions in the potatoes. This will allow the steam to escape and prevent a mess in the microwave. Place on a microwave safe plate and cook for 6-8 minutes (depending on the size of the potatoes). Be sure to turn over the potatoes once about halfway through cooking. Don’t forget that we’ll finish cooking the potatoes on the grill so we don’t need them to be cooked all the way through. We’re just giving them a little help.
Allow the potatoes to cool until easy to handle. Meanwhile let’s whip up that amazing Gorgonzola spread. This spread reminds me of one of the dipping sauces that they bring out for the veggie course at the Melting Pot. It’s SOOO good and pairs well with most vegetables. In a small bowl, combine the Gorgonzola cheese, mayo, and lemon juice. That’s it! So simple. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Now back to those sweet potatoes. Once the potatoes have cooled, cut them into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
Brush the sweet potato rounds lightly with olive oil and sprinkle on some salt and pepper. I love that a simple sprinkle of salt and pepper is all that’s needed because obviously I always have both on hand which means I can whip up a batch of Grilled Sweet Potatoes even on short notice. Who doesn’t love that?!? Of course you can absolutely experiment with your favorite flavor combinations to spice things up a bit.
Fire up the grill to medium heat. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side, turning once. Lightly brush the potato rounds with olive oil and don’t forget the sprinkle of salt and pepper below turning. We use a grill mat on a regular basis but it’s not necessary for this recipe and potatoes can be grilled directly on the grates. The benefits of a grill mat are easy cleanup and of course none of the veggies will fall or slip through the grill grates. We love trying all the latest gadgets!
Remove from the grill, sprinkle with chives, and serve with Gorgonzola spread. My garden kicks out so many chives that we sprinkle them on just about EVERYTHING! Well hello my little sweet potato…Come to Momma!! Grilled Sweet Potatoes are a good start for dinner but why not add some Grilled Brussels Sprouts and our Best Grilled Pork Chops too?!? Yum!!!
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Minced chives, for garnish
- Step 1 Wash and scrub the potatoes and then pierce with a fork. Place on a microwave safe plate and cook for 6-8 minutes (depending on the size of the potatoes). Turn potatoes over once about halfway through cooking. Allow the potatoes to cool until easy to handle.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, combine the Gorgonzola cheese, mayo, and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Step 3 Once the potatoes have cooled, cut them into 1/2 inch thick rounds. Brush lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Step 4 Grill, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes per side, turning once. Lightly brush the potato rounds with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper before turning.
- Step 5 Remove from the grill, sprinkle with chives, and serve with Gorgonzola spread. Enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below.
Shop this recipe!