Soup’s on! Ok to be fair, homemade soup is on the menu at my house just about every week when it’s cold outside. But just cause it’s homemade doesn’t mean that it has to be hard! You know what I love most about making soup? It’s a one pot meal! And when the meal’s over, I just let that one pot cool, and toss it in the fridge, and then reheat it when I’m ready for it again. You really can’t get much simpler than that! Do you know how many dishes that saves me??? A…..LOT!!!! But all laziness aside, this soup really is delicious! It’s super hearty and fills you up, plus it has plenty of that wonderful Italian flavor that I love so much.
Here’s all that you’ll need: Italian turkey sausage, onion, garlic, chicken broth, water, diced tomatoes, cheese tortellini, fresh spinach, basil, pepper, and red pepper flakes (optional).
Add sausage and onion to a Dutch oven. Cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Drain if necessary. Basically if you can brown meat and boil water you will be an ace at this recipe!! I told you it would be easy!! Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. This is where it starts to smell amazing! I love the smell of garlic cooking!! Stir in the chicken broth, water, and diced tomatoes and then bring to a boil. Add the tortellini and return to a boil. Once it’s boiling, cook for 6-8 minutes or until the tortellini is tender. OK, so did I mention we’re already like halfway done??? Reduce the heat and then stir in the basil, pepper, and pepper flakes (if desired). I just add the tiniest little pinch to give it a little kick (like I would say maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon if I were to measure it). I’m kind of a wimp when it comes to spicy stuff. Add the spinach. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until the spinach is wilted. Look at all that healthy goodness!! I try to cram in as much as I can. Makes me feel better when I go for seconds!OMG!! SO good!! For real though, wasn’t that one of the easiest soups ever??? And it has SO much flavor!! Like you wouldn’t even believe!! The tortellini soaks up a lot of the liquid if you’re refrigerating any leftovers overnight. No worries though. Just add more chicken broth or water to combat this! Garnish with Parmesan cheese if you like. No need for soup crackers with this one! So delish!!
Italian Tortellini Soup
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Step 1 Add sausage and onion to a Dutch oven. Cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until the meat is no longer pink. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Drain if necessary.
- Step 2 Stir in the chicken broth, water, and diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Step 3 Add the tortellini and return to a boil. Once it’s boiling, cook for 6-8 minutes or until the tortellini is tender.
- Step 4 Reduce the heat and then stir in the basil, pepper, and pepper flakes (if desired).
- Step 5 Add the spinach. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until the spinach is wilted. Garnish with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below!