I was one of those kids that never liked Brussels Sprouts. Heck I don’t even think I tasted one til I was well into adulthood. Then along came Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts to change my mind. The combination of sweet maple syrup, smokey bacon and crunchy pecans turns this side dish into quite the tasty treat! But it’s not just the flavor that makes this dish a winner, it’s also the cooking method. You’ll find that these sprouts are cooked to absolute perfection; not too crunchy and not at all mushy. Don’t be surprised if you start popping this green veggie like candy. No matter what they’re served with this little green powerhouse will steal the show. I know I’ll be going for seconds!
First things first Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts wouldn’t be as tasty without the bacon. This is not an ingredient that you want to skip! Start by roughly cutting the bacon into chunks. Then add the bacon to a skillet and cook over medium heat until it gets nice and crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet with a slotted spoon and blot it with paper towels to remove any excess grease. Discard any remaining grease in the skillet and wipe clean.Next we’ve gotta wash and trim the Brussels sprouts. Using a knife, slice off the ends and remove any leaves that aren’t quite top notch. We want our sprouts to look as perfect as they’re gonna taste. Cut an “X” into the core of each sprout. No need to go deep, a quarter of an inch will do just fine.
Place 6 Tablespoons of butter into the same skillet. Heat over medium until the butter us melted. Add the Brussels sprouts to the skillet and saute about 4-5 minutes until lightly browned. Give the sprouts a stir once or twice while cooking.
Mix in the chicken broth, pecans, maple syrup, and salt and pepper. I love that this recipe using classic ingredients that you probably already have on hand, but packs such a wallop of flavor. Bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover the skillet and continue to cook and stir for an additional 8-10 minutes or until the Brussels sprouts are tender.
Sprinkle in the bacon and enjoy! Congratulations!! You just cooked up a batch of the most delicious Brussels sprouts that you’ve ever tasted. Maple Bacon Brussels sprouts are simple, they’re delicious, and they’re most definitely a side dish you can feel good about. Wanna make it a meal? Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts pairs perfectly with our Apple Cider Pork Chops or Grilled Spatchcocked Chicken!
Maple Bacon Brussels Sprouts
- 10 bacon strips, chopped
- 2 pounds fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Step 1 Roughly cut the bacon into chunks. Add the bacon to a skillet and cook over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon. Blot with a paper towel to remove any excess grease. Discard remaining grease from the skillet and wipe clean.
- Step 2 Wash and trim the Brussels sprouts. Slice off the ends and remove any wilting leaves. Cut an “X” into the core of each sprout, about 1/4 inch deep.
- Step 3 Heat 6 Tablespoons of butter in the same skillet. Add the Brussels sprouts and saute over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir occasionally.
- Step 4 Mix in the chicken broth, pecans, maple syrup, and salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Uncover the skillet and continue to cook and stir for an additional 8-10 minutes or until the Brussels sprouts are tender.
- Step 5 Sprinkle in the bacon and enjoy!!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below.
Shop this recipe!