Have you started making Christmas cookies yet? Are you one of those people that makes a different batch every week and stores them perfectly in tupperware containers or are you the last minute type that whips everything together in one big cookie-palooza? I’m a little of both this year. Typically I make ALL of my cookies at once the weekend before Christmas. But this year I’ve wanted to share so many wonderful cookie recipes with you on the blog that it feels like my house has been a nonstop, round the clock cookie making factory. But I’m not complaining. I mean Christmas cookies are the unofficial breakfast food for the month of December, amiright??? No judgement here. This next cookie recipe is a simple one, but boy oh boy is it delicious!! Peppermint Meltaways are a delicate cookie, smothered with a creamy frosting and bursting with just the exact right amount of peppermint flavor. This festive cookie is truly special. It literally tastes like snowflakes melting in your mouth. I’ll be doubling the recipe for my Christmas cookie trays this year! Here’s all you’ll need: butter, confectioners sugar, peppermint extract, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, milk, and peppermint candies. Let’s get started! Begin by whisking together the flour and cornstarch in a medium sized bowl. We whisk you a Merry Christmas, We whisk you a Merry Christmas, We Whisk you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Next in a large bowl, cream together 1 cup of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract and 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy. The confectioners’ sugar is the secret ingredient that gives us that soft, melt in your mouth texture. Gradually add the flour mixture (about 1/2 cup at a time) into the creamed butter mixture until well blended. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (I mean if you’re really serious about cookie baking then it’s a MUST!!). Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and space them about 2-inches apart like so. I always try to give cookie recipes a bit of room to breathe until I know how far those babies are gonna spread. So err on the side of caution if you’re not sure. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 9-11 minutes or until the bottoms are light brown. When baking cookies I ALWAYS use the middle and top racks, never the bottom. And never ever all three at once. Halfway through the baking time I like to rotate my cookie sheets. That means that I switch the cookie sheet that was baking on the top rack to the middle rack and vice versa. I also rotate the cookie sheets 180 degrees so that the cookies that were baking in the front of the oven are now in the back. This helps to ensure I have a more even bake on ALL the cookies. Remove the cookies to wire racks to cool. Don’t you dare leave these guys on that baking sheet as they’ll keep right on baking! While the cookies are cooling we can whip up that deliciously dreamy peppermint frosting! Melt 2 tablespoon butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Beat in the milk and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract. Next gradually beat in 1-1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar. Mix until nice and smooth. You better sneak a taste to make sure it’s ok (wink, wink!!). I can tell you right now Peppermint Meltaways will quickly become a Christmas tradition! Once the cookies have cooled completely, slather on some of that nice peppermint frosting. These cookies are delicate so handle with care. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies. These cookies are great to make the week AFTER Christmas too because you know you’re going to have an abundance of candy canes handy! If you find that the frosting feels too thick or is hard to spread, just toss it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds (as needed). This melts the butter and your frosting will thin right out. Don’t ya think Santa would LOVE some Peppermint Meltaways on his cookie plate this year?!? I’ll take all the help I can get to land me on that NICE list! If you really wanna fancy up that cookie tray, I suggest adding some Cappuccino Swirl Cookies too!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- Step 1 In a large bowl, cream together 1 cup of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract and 1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar until light and fluffy.
- Step 2 Whisk together the flour and cornstarch in a medium sized bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture (about 1/2 cup at a time) into the creamed butter mixture until well blended. Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until firm enough to handle.
- Step 3 Remove the cookie dough from the fridge. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and space them about 2-inches apart on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
- Step 4 Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 9-11 minutes or until the bottoms are light brown. Remove the cookies to wire racks to cool.
- Step 5 FOR THE FROSTING: Melt 2 tablespoon butter in a small microwave safe bowl. Beat in the milk and 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract.
- Step 6 Gradually beat in 1-1/2 cup of confectioners’ sugar. Mix until smooth.
- Step 7 Frost cookies and sprinkle with crushed peppermint candies. Enjoy!