OMG! I found a new way to indulge! Homemade Praline Ice Cream Topping is every pecan lover’s dream!! A made from scratch buttery caramel sauce loaded with salty-sweet toasted pecans. Seriously, are you drooling yet??? Cause I sure am! I’m sure you didn’t even know it but it’s what your sundae has been missing!! This stunning sweet treat is my new go to for dressing up plain ‘ole vanilla ice cream. Because you AND your sundae deserve the best. And Praline Ice Cream Topping is exactly that. Serve warm or cold over mounds of your favorite ice cream and dig in before it melts! I’m pretty sure I’ll have a batch on hand in my fridge for the rest of time.
Here’s all you’ll need: butter, brown sugar, marshmallows, light corn syrup, salt, evaporated milk, chopped pecans, vanilla extract, and of course the ice cream of your choice!
Let’s start by toasting the pecans. Toasting results in a much more intense flavor. You’ll know they’re done when they start to become aromatic. It really doesn’t take very long. Cook them in a small skillet for about 5-10 minutes over medium low heat, stirring constantly. We don’t want those babies to scorch! Allergic to nuts or maybe you just hate ’em?!? Skip this part! The caramel topping is so luscious on it’s own that you won’t even miss ’em!
Next melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. We’re just trying to melt it not brown it or bring it to a boil. You can stir it every now and then to help it along.
Once the butter is melted, add the marshmallows, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt. Continue to cook and stir over low heat until the marshmallows are completely melted. We used the regular sized marshmallows. Not the minis, not the jumbos, that in between size that everyone uses for s’mores!
After the marshmallows are fully melted, bring the mixture to a boil. Cook and stir for one minute. The mixture will begin to thicken slightly. We are on our way to some rich caramel-y goodness!!!
Next remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the evaporated milk, vanilla extract and pecans. Mix well. The mixture will look super watery at first. Don’t worry! The milk will eventually incorporate into the caramel sauce. Just. Keep. Stirring! Speaking of evaporated milk, this is a great way to use up that leftover can. I’ve rarely made a recipe that required the whole can. There’s no doubt in my mind that Praline Ice Cream Topping is the BEST way to recycle those leftovers!!
Serve warm or cold over a mountain of vanilla ice cream!! Store Praline Ice Cream Topping in the refrigerator until next use. Brb! Going to make a sundae for like the 5th time since I made this recipe. If you’re team pecan, you’ve gotta try our Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Ball ASAP!!!
Praline Ice Cream Topping
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 16 large marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- Dash salt
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Ice cream flavor of your choice
- Step 1 Toast the pecans in a small skillet for about 5-10 minutes over medium low heat, stirring constantly. Pecans are done when they become aromatic.
- Step 2 Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallows, brown sugar, corn syrup and salt.
- Step 3 Continue to cook and stir over low heat until the marshmallows are completely melted. bring the mixture to a boil. Cook and stir for one minute.
- Step 4 Remove the pan from the heat and cool for 5 minutes. Stir in the evaporated milk, vanilla extract and pecans. Mix well.
- Step 5 Serve warm or cold over ice cream!! Store in the refrigerator until next use. Enjoy!!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments or love down below!
Shop this recipe!