Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins are a fun spinoff on a classic breakfast staple. These simple homemade muffins can’t be beat! The cinnamon-sugary streusel topping is an absolute must!! It totally makes this recipe by adding the perfect amount of sweetness. These delicious homemade muffins are light and fluffy, bake up perfectly golden and are just bursting with blueberries in every bite! Make a big batch and watch them delight at your next breakfast or brunch gathering.
Here’s all you’ll need: butter, sugar, an egg, vanilla extract, flour, baking powder, salt, milk, blueberries, and cinnamon.
In a large bowl cream the softened butter and 1/3 cup of sugar. You know I nuked it! Melted butter is fine too. Ain’t nobody got time to soften butter. But seriously, now’s a good time to leave 1/4 cup of butter out (half a stick). We’re going to need it later for the streusel topping. Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins aren’t your typically overly sweet blueberry muffins which helps to showcase the streusel topping. Next beat in the egg and the vanilla. Mix well.
Mix in the baking powder, salt, and 1/3 cup of flour. Then alternate blending the flour and the milk. If we add all the flour at once it’ll be too flaky to mix. And if we add all the milk it gets too soupy. So we’re going to add 1 cup of flour and 1/2 a cup of milk and blend. Then add the other another cup of flour and another 1/2 cup of milk and blend until just combined. And now we have our perfectly mixed batter! Ta-da!!
Then gently fold in the blueberries. You can use fresh or frozen, whatever you’ve got is fine! I opted to go with fresh. If you opt for frozen, remember to thaw them before hand. I say gently because our goal is to try and keep the blueberries intact. It helps to keep the muffins moist and gives you that perfectly juicy blueberry flavor explosion in every bite!
Fill a muffin pan with 12 paper-lined baking cups (or silicone baking cups) or lightly grease with cooking spray. Spoon the batter into each individual cup. We’re shooting for them to be about 2/3 of the way fill. Don’t worry if you overdo it. You’ll just end up with bigger muffins. I know…poor you…right?!? If you have super cute baking cups you might want to try this little trick I like to use. Dump a little uncooked rice (brown or white will do) into the bottom of each muffin cavity. Then set your baking cup on TOP of the rice. And then fill the baking cup just as you normally would. The rice helps to prevent the paper baking cup from getting all greasy. Works like a charm!
Now it’s time to make that fabulous crumb topping! Add the softened butter, cinnamon, 1/3 cup of flour, and 1/2 cup of sugar to small bowl. And let’s just cut to the chase. Anytime a recipe needs to be “cut with a knife” takes way to long to cut with a knife. I end up trying that for like hmm…30 seconds and then dive right in and squish it with my hands. Yup! That’s the fancy technical term! It’s so much faster and so much easier (and so much more fun!) in my opinion. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty!
Then sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the blueberry muffins. Gently press the streusel into the muffin top a little bit to hold it all in place. Really make sure you load em up! It seriously is the best part!!
Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until browned. These babies got pulled around the 27 minute mark! I love how you can actually SEE blueberries in every. single. muffin! Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing.
Obviously Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins are a little slice of Heaven when served warm out of the oven! Slice one in half and add a little pad of butter. OMG!! PERFECTION!! BUT…..I’m not one to turn down a cold muffin either. Warm or cold, I’ll be snacking on these all week! If you think these look fab, our Strawberry Crumb Cake Muffins will make ya melt!
Streusel Topped Blueberry Muffins
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- STREUSE TOPPING
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter
- Step 1 In a large bowl cream 1/4 cup softened butter and 1/3 cup of sugar. Next beat in the egg and the vanilla. Mix well.
- Step 2 Mix in the baking powder, salt, and 1/3 cup of flour. Then blend in 1 cup flour and 1/2 cup milk. Add the remaining 1 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of milk. Mix until just blended.
- Step 3 Gently fold the blueberries into the batter.
- Step 4 Fill a muffin pan with 12 paper-lined baking cups OR lightly grease with cooking spray. Spoon the batter into each cup filling 2/3 of the way full.
- Step 5 Add 1/4 cup softened butter, cinnamon, 1/3 cup of flour, and 1/2 cup of sugar to small bowl. Cut with a knife until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (or mix with your hands).
- Step 6 Sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the blueberry muffins. Gently press into the muffin tops to hold into place.
- Step 7 Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 25-30 minutes or until browned. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before removing. Serve warm (or cold) and enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below!