If you haven’t tried Cookies and Cream Rice Krispie Treats, then you’re doing it wrong! This extraordinary mashup combines two of my most loved goodies, Oreo cookies and Rice Krispies cereal. Have you ever asked yourself what happens when Oreo cookies and Rice Krispies collide? […]
Tag: dessert for a crowd
Peanut Butter Cookies were my absolute favorite as a kid. So when I grew up and started baking I knew that I needed a fabulous, no fail, peanut butter cookie recipe in my arsenal ASAP!! Well guys, this is that recipe!! These cookies are rich, […]
I really, really, REALLY wanted to go apple picking this year! But it seemed like every weekend we were either traveling, or sick, or it was raining. BOO! Oh Fall I had such high expectations for you this year!! So I set my sights on some Fall baking instead. Apple Hands Pies are an easy to make dessert that’s sure to delight. These nostalgic little hand pies are sweet, comforting, and simply adorable. The tender, flaky pie crust is easy to work with and filled with delicious cinnamon-apple filling. And next year they’ll be made with hand picked apples from myself (promise!), but this time around we used the next best thing, locally grown NY State apples!
Here’s all you’ll need: cream cheese, butter, flour, salt, allspice, apples, sugar, cinnamon, egg, and water.
First in a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1 cup of butter until smooth. You can nuke it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up a bit if you need to. Just keep in mind, we want it to be soft, not melted. The addition of cream cheese makes this pie crust absolutely melt in your mouth fabulous!! So I’m not gonna lie, Apple Hand Pies are a little bit of work. But it’s all easy, I promise. And it’s totally worth it!
Next gradually add in the salt and the flour. Toss the salt in first and then using a hand blender, mix the flour in 1/2 cup at a time until well blended. The dough will be a bit sticky. Divide it in half, then shape each half into a ball and flatten slightly into a disc shape. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour to firm.
Once your dough is almost ready to use, start slicing up those apples. We don’t want to prep them too early otherwise they’ll get all brown and mushy. Peel and chop the apples and add them to a large bowl. Top with allspice, cinnamon and 1/3 cup of sugar and toss to coat. Be sure to use a good baking apple and not an eating apple. Yes, there’s a difference. Baking apples tend to be on the softer side while eating apples are more crisp and firm. Look for varieties like Granny Smith, Crispin, Cortland, 20 Ounce, Fortune, Idared, Northern Spy or Rome.
Next remove the dough from the fridge and divide each section into 12 portions. This recipe makes a pretty big batch, 2 dozen Apple Hand Pies to be exact. But trust me when I say you’ll be eating these babies two at a time. Shape each portion into a ball. Then on a lightly floured surface roll each ball into a round, 4-inch mini pie crust. Look how cute the minis are!! Or if you’re a perfectionist, roll the entire ball of dough out into one big pie crust and then cut it into circles using a 4-inch biscuit cutter. Either way will work just fine. I promise they’ll all get eaten!
Place a tablespoon of chopped apples on one side of the mini pie crust. Dot with butter. Basically that means we’re just adding a couple of teeny tiny pieces of butter on top of the apple mixture, because everything’s better with a little butter. Next in a small bowl, combine the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of water to form an egg wash. Brush one edge of the pastry with the egg wash. The egg wash basically acts as a “glue” to hold everything together. Set aside any remaining egg wash. We’re not quite done with it yet!
To finish fold over half of the pie crust to cover the apples and press down to seal. Crimp down the edges with a fork. Place the finished apple hand pies onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Most of you already know that I use parchment in just about ANY baking recipe, but it’s really essential here to prevent these little mini pies from sticking to the pan. Trust it. Live it. Love it.
In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Brush the pie tops with the remaining egg wash and quickly sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Lastly cut three itty bitty slits into the top of the apple hand pies so they have some room to breathe.
Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for 11-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Serve warm, or cold, or with caramel sauce for dipping. Apple Hand Pies will disappear quickly no matter how you serve ’em! Looking for more Fall baking ideas? Try our Over the Top Apple Pie Cheesecake!
Apple Hand Pies
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2-1/2 cups finely chopped peeled apples
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Step 1 In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and 1 cup of butter until smooth. Next gradually blend in the salt and flour until well blended to form a dough.
- Step 2 Divide the dough in half, then shape each half into a ball and flatten slightly into a disc shape. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour to firm.
- Step 3 Peel and chop the apples and add them to a large bowl. Top with allspice, cinnamon and 1/3 cup of sugar and toss to coat.
- Step 4 Remove the dough from the fridge and divide each section into 12 portions. Shape each portion into a ball. On a lightly floured surface roll each ball into a round, 4-inch mini pie crust.
- Step 5 Place a tablespoon of chopped apples on one side of the mini pie crust. Dot with butter. In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of water to form an egg wash. Brush one edge of the pastry with the egg wash.
- Step 6 Fold over half of the pie crust to cover the apples and press down to seal. Crimp the edges with a fork. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Step 7 In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. Brush the pie tops with the remaining egg wash and quickly sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Cut slits into the top of the pastry.
- Step 8 Bake in a 425 degree preheated oven for 11-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Enjoy!!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below!
Shop this recipe!
Zucchini bread is great and all but aren’t Zucchini Cupcakes even cuter?!? I mean it just doesn’t get any better than these adorable hand held little bundles of joy. In fact, I’m already planning on growing zucchini in my garden next year just for this recipe! […]
If you’re in need of the ultimate brownie recipe, then look no further! You’ve come to the right place. This rich, fudgy, frosted brownie recipe is the only one you’ll ever need. Really!! They turn out perfect every time….well except for the first time that […]
We make my famous Red, White, and Berry Fruit Pizza every Fourth of July. And sometimes on Memorial Day. And Labor Day. And whenever berries go on sale. And even on just because days. It’s so good that I promise you will never get sick of it! Everyone I’ve served this delicious dessert to absolutely loves it!! It’s super simple yet SOOOOO delicious! Cookie crust, cream cheese frosting, LOADS of fresh fruit and you can literally pick it up in your hand and eat it like a pizza!! Up top!! Don’t let the fancy pants star in the middle scare you off either. This eye-catching dessert really is a cinch to decorate. I mean all you really need to be able to do is cut up a few strawberries. You can totally handle that!
Here’s all you’ll need: Sugar cookie dough, cream cheese, sugar, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and almond extract.
Press sugar cookie dough into a greased pizza pan. To grease I just sprayed this with cooking spray. It helps it the cookie dough is out of the fridge and a little bit softer beforehand. Makes it easier to squish it around!
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cookie is baked all the way through. My cookie creeped up around the edges a little bit. I like it that way because it gives you a nice crust to hold on to!
In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and almond extract until smooth. It’s starting to look like a nice little cream cheese frosting! And we all know how I feel about cream cheese frosting….Heaven….on….Earth! Don’t forget to lick the beaters! We can’t let any of this go to waste!!
Spread this glorious mixture over the cookie crust leaving about a 1 inch edge. I’m telling ya, you’re going to love having that little handle! Don’t worry if you’re not an expert froster. We’re going to cover most of it up with fruit!
Next add a pattern of blueberries and raspberries around the outside border. I tried to go two blueberries to one raspberry. Just blueberries would be super cute too if you want to keep it simple. Can you see it starting to come together?
Refrigerate until serving. Cut into slices and enjoy! Eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner until completely gone! I would never (always!!) do that!! If you love this recipe try our Berry Delicious Belgian Waffles!
Red, White, and Berry Fruit Pizza
- 1 tube (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup halved fresh strawberries
- Step 1 Press cookie dough into a greased pizza pan. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Step 2 In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugar and almond extract until smooth. Spread onto cookie crust leaving an inch around the outside.
- Step 3 Arrange blueberries in the shape of a star. Add raspberries to all five corners of the star. Place blueberries and raspberries around the outside to form a border.
- Step 4 Place a large strawberry in the middle of the star. Cut two strawberries in half and layer around the middle strawberry. Quarter strawberries and arrange around the base of star until all white spots are covered.
- Step 5 Refrigerate until serving. Cut into slices and enjoy!
Leave us your comments and love down below!
Shop this recipe!