I absolutely do not have the will power to keep Skillet Potato Rolls in the house. And I’m not ashamed to admit it. I will just keep devouring ’em til they’re gone. These made from scratch dinner rolls are light and airy and oh so […]
Tag: dinner party recipes
What if I told you that you could whip up dessert that looked like it came straight from a restaurant? Well Chocolate Raspberry Puff Pastry is all that and more! This elegant dessert combines not one but two kinds of chocolate as well as pecans, […]
Chicken Marsala was one of the very first grown up meals that I learned how to make. You know, the kind that doesn’t come in a blue box with a stir in cheese packet. Like REAL cooking people!! The kind of meal that makes you want to invite your friends over and host a fancy dinner party. Or a meal that you wouldn’t be embarrassed to serve to your in laws. This is the type of meal that you serve with bread AND a dessert! Fancy Schmancy!!! Basically this is what you serve when you want to show off a little. The first time I made this, it was just your basic chicken Marsala recipe, and boy was it good! One of my favorites even!! But over the years, I’ve picked up a few tips and tricks to make this one extra fabulous!!! Now I must warn you, it’s got lots of mushrooms, which aren’t for everyone (my hubby hates them…which means more for me!). But never fear, all you mushroom haters out there, you can totally serve the chicken WITHOUT the mushrooms. The sauce is SO spectacular that you won’t even realize anything is missing. Leave them out. I don’t even care. Just make sure you have some good bread to mop up all that sauce!!!! OMG!! I could lick the plate clean!!! (so much for being fancy).
Here’s all that you’ll need: boneless skinless chicken breast, salt, pepper, olive oil, mushrooms, garlic cloves, Marsala wine, heavy whipping cream, Gorgonzola cheese, and fresh parsley.
This first part is critical! It really makes such a big difference in how the chicken cooks. Place the chicken in a ziploc bag, seal the top, and lightly pound the chicken with a mallet. You can use a heavy rolling pin and just roll over it a few times if you don’t have a mallet handy. Flip the chicken over and repeat on the other side. Pound until the chicken is about 1/4 inch thick and uniformly even. Secretly picture whoever you’d like as you pound away all of life’s aggressions. A little meal prep, a little therapy. It’s all about multi tasking!!
Ungrit your teeth and sprinkle each side with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes per side. I always split the difference and go with 7 minutes, but basically you want a meat thermometer to read about 170 degrees. Remove the chicken from the skillet and set aside.
In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for a minute longer. Next add the wine to the skillet. You can find Marsala cooking wine at most grocery stores and get your ID ready cause they do card you for cooking wine! Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any brown bits. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is reduced by a third (about 5 minutes over medium heat). Yum!!! I love all the mushrooms!!! But I am sticking to my guns, if you aren’t down with the shrooms, just skip em and make this recipe anyways!!!
Stir in the heavy cream and a pinch of salt. Return to a boil and cook until slightly thickened (roughly about another 5 minutes over medium heat).
Add 1/3 cup of Gorgonzola cheese. Return the chicken to the pan. Cook until the cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through (about 2 minutes per side). Flip it over once so both sides soak in all of that fabulously creamy sauce!! The Gorgonzola takes this sauce from ordinary to extraordinary!!! The flavor is unbelievable!!!
Top the chicken with mushrooms and spoon a little sauce over top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and garnish with parsley. Serve with anything that will act as a vessel for soaking up that yummy, rich, and creamy deliciousness. Think mashed potatoes, green beans are really good too, spaghetti, or any kind of noodle is amazing!! And don’t forget the bread!! You’re gonna want to sop it up right out of the pan!! In fact in our house, we’ve been known to stand over the oven and do just that. Of course it’s not during one of those in law dinners.
Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Marsala wine
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Step 1 Pound chicken with a mallet to 1/4 inch thickness or until uniformly even. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Step 2 In a large skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes per side or until chicken is about 170 degrees. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Step 3 In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms in the remaining tablespoon of olive oil until tender (about 5 minutes). Add the garlic and cook for a minute longer.
- Step 4 Add the wine. Scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any brown bits. Bring to a boil and cook until the liquid is reduced by a third (about 5 minutes over medium heat).
- Step 5 Stir in the heavy cream and a pinch of salt. Return to a boil and cook until slightly thickened (roughly about another 5 minutes over medium heat).
- Step 6 Add 1/3 cup of Gorgonzola cheese. Return the chicken to the pan. Cook until the cheese is melted and the chicken is heated through (about 2 minutes per side).
- Step 7 Top the chicken with mushrooms and sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and garnish with parsley. Enjoy!!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below!