Summer nights are made for quick and easy dinner recipes. Citrus Steak Salad is the most perfect all in one dinner salad to get the job done. Crunchy greens, tender steak, juicy strawberries, mandarin oranges and a citrusy, made from scratch vinaigrette make for a meal […]
Tag: easy dinner ideas
If you like sweet potato fries, then you’ll love Grilled Sweet Potatoes! I’ve always been a sweet potato fan whether they’re fried, baked or all dolled up in a holiday casserole, but grilling them puts it on a whole new level for me. Grilling not […]
Move over beer brats there’s a new kid in town! Root Beer Brats are not only delicious but they are so easy to prepare. And since they’re made with root beer rather than beer, they’re family friendly too. Slow-cooking in a sweet root beer marinade helps this tasty sausage really soak up tons of flavor. You can adjust the heat to your taste by adding a spicier chili sauce to the mix. And let’s not forget the best part, this summertime meal is made in the crockpot so you can get dinner on the table and still keep the house cool. Amazing, right?!?
Here’s all you’ll need : root beer, corn starch, ground mustard, caraway seeds, bratwurst links, onion, chili sauce, hoagie rolls, red onion and mustard for serving (optional).
Let’s get started on that sweet and tasty marinade. In a large bowl, mix together one 12 oz can of root beer, corn starch, ground mustard, and caraway seeds. Whisk until the corn starch is fully combined into the soda pop mixture.
Next brown the brats in batches in a large skillet over medium heat. Keep in mind that you don’t want to cook them all the way through. We’re just searing the outsides to help keep in all of that juicy and delicious flavor! Now just what exactly is bratwurst you might ask? Bratwurst is a specific type of sausage link that originated in Germany. Typically it’s made with pork, beef, or sometimes even veal. If you don’t have bratwurst available you can use a typical run of the mill sausage as a substitute.
Add the Root Beer Brats to a 4-5 quart crockpot. Cover with chopped white or yellow onion, chili sauce and the root beer mixture. Cook covered, on low for 6-8 hours or until a meat thermometer reads at least 160 degrees. My crockpots always seem to cook on the hot side so 6 hours was plenty for me. I would recommend checking about 4 hours in so you can adjust the temperature as needed.
Grab a bun and a brat and you’re ready to eat! Spoon with chili sauce just before serving. Then add the toppings of your choice, like thinly sliced red onions or go the traditional route by adding a little mustard. You really can’t go wrong on this one! Dinner doesn’t get much easier than Root Beer Brats. Serve with our Slow-Cooked German Potato Salad or our Sweet and Tangy Macaroni Salad and you’ve got yourself a meal!
Slow-Cooker Root Beer Brats
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 10 uncooked bratwurst links
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 10 hoagie buns
- Thinly sliced red onion, for serving
- Prepared mustard, for serving
- Step 1 In a large bowl, mix together one 12 oz can of root beer, corn starch, ground mustard, and caraway seeds. Whisk until the corn starch is fully combined into the soda pop mixture.
- Step 2 Brown the brats in batches in a large skillet over medium heat. Do not cook all the way through.
- Step 3 Add the bratwurst to a 4-5 quart crockpot. Cover with chopped white or yellow onion, chili sauce and the root beer mixture. Cook covered, on low for 6-8 hours or until a meat thermometer reads at least 160 degrees.
- Step 4 Spoon with chili sauce just before serving. Add the toppings of your choice, like thinly sliced red onions or mustard. Enjoy!
We’d love to hear form you. Leave us your comments and love down below!
Shop this recipe!
What’s for dinner tonight? Let’s take it nice and easy and whip up a batch of One-Pot Lemon Chicken Orzo! You’re gonna love this recipe for SO many reasons. First off it’s fast and easy to make which means it’s perfect for a busy weeknight […]
Hi! My name’s Lisa and I’m starting to become addicted to pressure cooking. It hasn’t always been that way though. I had always wanted to try pressure cooking but didn’t really know how to get started. I had no knowledge or experience using this type […]
Easy Tuscan Roasted Asparagus is not only the perfect Spring side dish, but also one of our favorite recipes to make year round! Oven roasted and flavored with lemon and garlic this family friendly vegetable is something that everyone can agree on. This simply irresistible side dish is easy to make and cooks up perfectly crisp tender asparagus every time. Pair this quick fix with steak, chicken or fish to instantly give your menu a gourmet feel. Fresh veggies are always a hit in my house!!
Here’s all you’ll need: asparagus, lemon, cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, pine nuts, salt and pepper. Ok so you’re not gonna believe how quick and easy this recipe is to prepare. We’re talking minimal effort! First let’s prepare the vegetables. That means we need to trim the ends off the asparagus and cut the tomatoes in halves. Easy enough! Layer onto a aluminum foil lined baking sheet that’s been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle with pine nuts. I really hate saying the “C” word this time of the year but I LOVE preparing this dish at Christmas because of all the pretty red and green! Next add 1 tablespoon of oil, garlic, salt and pepper to a shake-able Tupperware container with a tight lid. Secure lid and shake it up to combine. Shake it! Shake it like a Polaroid picture!! (if you don’t know what that mean we can no longer be friends). Drizzle over the asparagus and tomatoes and toss to coat. Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until asparagus is crisp tender. Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter. Whatever the cooking method, you can always tell when asparagus is ready because the green becomes so much more bright and intense. Grab that Tupperware container again cause pffft!!! Dishes!! Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Shake to combine. I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake shake, shake. Shake it up!! Shake it up!! Ooh ooh OOHH!! I’m pretty sure Tay Tay wrote that song for this moment! Drizzle the mixture over the veggies. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and grated lemon peel to garnish. I love that asparagus can be served warm or cold and still be absolutely delicious!!! So whatever tickles your fancy!! Grab a plate and dig in!! Pair with our How To Cook The Best Steak Ever and Perfect Baked Potato posts for a truly fabulous meal!!
Easy Tuscan Roasted Asparagus
- 1 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 1 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1-1/2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Step 1 Trim the ends off the asparagus and cut the tomatoes into halves. Place onto an aluminum foil covered baking sheet that’s been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Top with pine nuts.
- Step 2 Add 1 tablespoon of oil, garlic, salt and pepper to a with a lid. Secure lid and shake to combine. Drizzle over vegetables. Toss to coat.
- Step 3 Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 10-15 minutes or until asparagus is crisp tender.Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter.
- Step 4 Combine 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a container with a lid. Secure lid and shake to combine. Drizzle over asparagus.
- Step 5 Top with grated Parmesan cheese and grated lemon peel. Enjoy!!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below!
Shop this recipe!
What happens when you combine tater tots and nachos??? You get Totchos!!! Our all new Quick and Easy Loaded Totchos recipe are the perfect way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. This delicious spinoff recipe swaps tater tots for tortilla chips and then smothers them with all […]