My Brother and Sis in law gifted me the cutest little pie pan. It’s got a big ole pumpkin in the middle with the cute little saying “Pumpkin spice & everything nice”. They obviously know that I love me some pumpkin EVERYTHING!!! As soon as […]
Tag: fall favorite
Soooo….I wasn’t going to release this one til the weekend….BUT, when I found out that it was #NationalPumpkinDay, I couldn’t think of a better time to get this up on the blog! This is a big one for me! This is my BEST pumpkin recipe. […]
Hey there! Who’s ready for soup season? I sure am! We are finally getting some of that crisp Fall air blowing through Buffalo this week and I couldn’t be more excited about it. I loved grilling out this Summer, but I am SO ready to turn on the oven and make some comfort foods. What could be more comforting than a big bowl of tomato soup? In my house we are soup lovers!! We pretty much make a different soup every week from October through March with a couple of my favorites as repeats. Some soups are just too good to only make once a year. Am I right??? And of course Tomato Basil Soup is one of those repeats. It’s simple and delicious, but also super inexpensive to make! Grab some oyster crackers and pair with a grilled cheese sandwich, we’re about to warm your soul. This one is SOOOO good!!
Here’s all you’ll need: carrots, onion, chicken broth, evaporated milk, tomato puree, butter, basil, salt and white pepper.
Chop up the carrots and the onion into small pieces. Betcha didn’t know that Tomato Basil Soup had carrots hidden inside!
Add the carrots and onion to a Dutch oven and cook in butter over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes. Cover and stir occasionally.
Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Add the vegetables and 1 cup of chicken broth to a blender and process until well blended.
Yum! Look at all of those nice veggies that will act as our base. Return the mix back to the Dutch oven.
Next add in the tomato puree, Basil, sugar, salt, pepper and remaining broth. You can substitute black pepper in a pinch. It’ll still be really good! I promise. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat down to a low and simmer for 30 minutes longer.
Stir in the evaporated milk and leave on the stove until heated through. Do not boil.
Serve hot! Add soup crackers, croutons, parmesan cheese, or whatever you like. Oh my! Just looking at this mug full of Tomato Basil Soup almost makes me wish for Winter weather…….ALMOST!!! Not quite though. Does anyone else love to dip a nice grilled cheese sandwich in there? What’s your favorite soup? Best Ever Zuppa Toscana and Hearty Cheeseburger Soup are a few of mine!
Tomato Basil Soup
- 4 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 49 oz reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) tomato puree
- 5 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- Step 1 Finely chop the carrots and onion. Add to a Dutch oven with butter and cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Step 2 Cool slightly. Add vegetables and 1 cup chicken broth to a blended. Process until well blended. Return veggie mixture to Dutch oven.
- Step 3 Stir in tomato puree, basil sugar, salt, pepper and remaining broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook on low for 30 minutes.
- Step 4 Stir in evaporated milk. Cook on low until soup is heated through. Do not boil. Serve hot and enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below.
Shop this recipe!