If you love to hit the bread basket during dinner then this recipe is for you! Our Light & Flaky Biscuits bake up soft and buttery in a matter of minutes! A few simple ingredients (that you probably already have on hand) are all that’s […]
Tag: homestyle cooking
Creamy Mixed Vegetable Casserole is a staple on the dinner menu rotation in our house! It’s SOOO good!!! But it’s also SOOO easy!! If you’re tired of all those boring steamed vegetable side, then this recipe is for YOU!! This super versatile side dish goes with […]
Cheesy Ham Chowder is my favorite way to enjoy leftover Easter ham! You can only eat so many ham sandwiches. Am I right?!? This creamy Spring chowder is loaded with yummy ingredients. Chock-full of potatoes, ham, cheese, and corn, this incredibly creamy concoction adds up to a wonderful family-pleasing meal. You won’t even believe you’re eating leftovers! This rich and cheesy soup goes great with biscuits. Cheesy Ham Chowder is the ultimate comfort food to nosh while you’re waiting for that sunny Spring weather to arrive. My Buffalo peeps know what I’m talking about!
Here’s all you’ll need: bacon, onion, carrots, flour, milk, water, potatoes, corn, chicken bouillon, cheddar cheese, ham, and salt and pepper to taste.
First let’s dice up those carrots in bitesize pieces. And chop up the onion as well since we’ve got the cutting board out!
Next roughly chop the uncooked bacon. Toss it into a large soup pot (this recipe makes a lot!) and cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon leaving the drippings in the pot. Set the bacon aside….for now. Don’t worry!! We won’t forget about it.
Next add the carrots and the onion to the pot and cook in the bacon drippings until the veggies are nice and tender. Mmm!!! Cooking in bacon drippings is about as good as it gets! It really takes this chowder to the next level.
Once the veggies are cooked, blend in the flour to form a thick paste. Gradually add the milk and the water to the pot. I like to add about half a cup at a time, give the soup a chance to thicken up and then add half a cup more until all my liquid has been added. Bring the soup to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Next add the potatoes, corn, chicken bouillon, and a little bit of pepper (to taste). I like to add enough pepper so that I can see it in the soup. My hubby peppers EVERYTHING!!! Some people aren’t into that kind of thing though so whatever floats your boat is cool with me! Bring the soup to a boil. Then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Then add in the ham and cheese. Stir until the cheese has completely melted. This soup will be THICK! And delicious!!!
And then stir in the bacon! Oh bacon, I told you we wouldn’t forget about you!! No way!! NEVER!! Cheesy Ham Chowder just wouldn’t be complete without you!
This is the kind of meal that warms your soul. Someone grab me a biscuit and a spoon! I am ready to eat!! What’s your favorite way to use up leftover holiday ham? Be sure to check out our Hearty Cheeseburger Soup too!
Cheesy Ham Chowder
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2-1/2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Pepper to taste
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- Step 1 Roughly chop uncooked bacon. Toss into a large soup pot and cook over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon leaving the drippings in the pot. Set aside.
- Step 2 Add the carrots and onion to the pot and cook in the bacon drippings until tender.
- Step 3 Once the veggies are cooked, blend in the flour to form a thick paste. Gradually add the milk and the water to the pot 1/2 a cup at a time. Bring the soup to a boil and cook for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 4 Add the potatoes, corn, chicken bouillon, and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Step 5 Stir in the ham and cheese until the cheese has melted. Mix in the bacon. Enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below!
Shop this recipe!
Our Everything Dinner Rolls go with well…..EVERYTHING!!! Simple enough for a weeknight dinner, yet fancy enough to serve at a holiday meal, like say…Easter for instance. I find myself constantly coming back to this recipe, especially at the holidays. It’s great in a pinch because […]