Stuffed Acorn Squash is stuffed full with as much goodness as we could possibly cram into one recipe. This healthy but flavorful Fall dish is filled with savory sausage, good for you vegetables, and plenty of herbs and spices to tantalize your tastebuds. It’s low […]
Tag: <span>low carb dinner</span>
Spatchcocked Chicken is not only fun to say it’s fun to make! But just what exactly does that mean? Spatchcocking, also known as the butterfly method, is simply the act of splitting a chicken or any game bird so that it lays flat on the […]
Grilled Stuffed Zucchini makes an excellent side dish. Pair this healthy vegetable with thick and juicy pork chops, tender grilled chicken or just about anything else you can toss over an open flame. It’s hearty enough to forgo the meats all together and can even be served as a meatless main course. Low carb lovers will love this delicious side as a surprising change of pace from the ordinary. These zucchini boats are jam packed with chopped red onion, fresh basil, garlic, and mozzarella and of course everything is better when you toss it on the grill. I’m riding this grilling season out til the very end of summer!
Here’s all you’ll need: zucchini, olive oil, red onion, garlic, bread crumbs, shredded mozzarella, basil, salt and Parmesan cheese.
Just a little bit of prep work and we’ll be ready to go! Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then scoop out the pup with a spoon. Chop up the pulp but don’t toss it. We’ll be using it to stuff our zucchini. Brush the insides of the zucchini with a 2 teaspoons of olive oil and set them aside.
Chop up the red onion into small pieces. Add 3 teaspoons of olive oil, the red onion and zucchini pulp to a skillet. Saute over medium heat until the onion is tender (about 5-7 minutes). Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute longer. Then mix in the bread crumbs and cook until golden brown (about another 2-3 minutes).
Remove the zucchini mixture from the heat. Stir in the mozzarella cheese, some minced basil, and salt for flavor. Looking to shake things up a bit? Try swapping cheddar, or your favorite cheese in place of the mozzarella. Or add your favorite herbs, like mint, or oregano in lieu of basil. Recipes should be suited to your tastes so feel free to play around with the flavors!
Spoon the stuffing mixture into the zucchini shells. Give a little sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and we’re ready to grill!
Fire up the grill to medium heat. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minute or until the zucchini are tender. Carefully remove to a serving platter. Annnnd……we’re done! Time to eat!!
You can’t have Grilled Stuffed Zucchini without the grill, or can you?!? Too cold to grill. Place the zucchini in a 13X9 baking dish. Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
And there you have it! Grilled Stuffed Zucchini is the side dish (or maybe even your whole dinner) that you can feel good about. And even better…..it tastes great too!! Make it a meal? Pairs well with our Best Grilled Pork Chops Marinade or Spatchcocked Chicken!
Grilled Stuffed Zucchini
- 4 medium zucchini
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Step 1 Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then scoop out the pup with a spoon. Chop up the pulp and set aside. Brush the insides of the zucchini with a 2 teaspoons of olive oil and set aside.
- Step 2 Chop up the red onion into small pieces. Add 3 teaspoons of olive oil, the red onion and zucchini pulp to a skillet. Saute over medium heat until the onion is tender (about 5-7 minutes). Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute longer. Mix in the bread crumbs and cook until golden brown (about another 2-3 minutes).
- Step 3 Remove the zucchini mixture from the heat. Stir in the mozzarella cheese, minced basil, and salt. Spoon the stuffing mixture into the zucchini shells. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Step 4 Grill, covered, over medium heat for 8-10 minute or until the zucchini are tender. Carefully remove to a serving platter. Enjoy!!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below.
Shop this recipe!
Looking to shake things up a bit? Peach Mango Caprese Salad offers a lovely twist on the classic tomato and mozzarella dish. Caprese Salad fans will absolutely adore this lil bowl full of summer. The perfect bite holds wonderfully ripe peaches, juicy mango, tangy tomatoes, […]
Fire up the grill cause this next recipe is a keeper! Grilled Chicken with Peach-Cucumber Salsa is my favorite recipe of summer so far. I love that it’s not only ridiculously easy to make, it’s also low calorie and low carb. And since it cooks […]