Move over boring side dishes! Grilled Brussels Sprouts are here to steal the show this summer. Brussels sprouts can sometimes get a bad rap but it’s only because most people don’t know how to cook them properly. Grilling or roasting them caramelizes their natural sugars yielding […]
Tag: low carb
I’ll admit it! We jumped on the trend train when it comes to cauliflower. We’ve tried the cauliflower pizza crust, and the breadsticks, and the cauliflower rice. But Smoky Roasted Cauliflower is hands down our favorite way to prepare it! The secret ingredient is smoked […]
By this time of the year I’m kind of over zucchini bread, zucchini cake, zucchini muffins, and all of the other zucchini sweet treats. Don’t get me wrong! I’ve had my share of it and it was all delicious!!! But literally everyone and their brother is making that stuff nonstop. It’s everywhere you turn! It’s like you can’t escape it! Muahaahaaa!! (evil laugh) After about one round of each I’m like ok, that’s enough, what’s next?!? Enter Pizza Zucchini Casserole!!! This zucchini recipe is an instant stand out. Oh and did I mention it tastes like pizza minus the carbs! That means your kids and your husband will love it too and totally forget about all the veggies hidden inside! In a world full of zucchini bread, be a pizza zucchini casserole!
Here’s all you’ll need: zucchini, red pepper, green pepper, onion, ground beef, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, tomato sauce, and salt.
Let’s start by shredding the zucchini. No need to peel. We just ran this through a grater. Place in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and allow zucchini to sit for 10 minutes. This will help to take out some of the moisture.
In a large bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup cheddar, and parmesan cheeses, along with the eggs. It’s not easy being cheesy!!
Squeeze excess moisture out of the zucchini. Just grab handfuls of zucchini, pretend you’re the Incredible Hulk and squeeze it as hard as you can over the sink. This will remove all of the liquid. Add zucchini to the cheese mixture. Mix it all together with a spoon.
Chop up the green and red peppers. Chop it like its HOT! Chop it like its HOT!! I promise you my recipes will NEVER have hot peppers….cause I’m a wimp like that.
SOOOOO delicious!! And you won’t feel guilty about going for seconds!!
Pizza Zucchini Casserole
- 4 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) Italian tomato sauce
- 1 medium green, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- Step 1 Shred zucchini. Place in a colander, sprinkle with salt, and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Step 2 In a large bowl, combine 1 cup mozzarella, 1/2 cup cheddar, and parmesan cheeses, and eggs.
- Step 3 Squeeze excess moisture out of the zucchini. Add zucchini to the cheese mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Step 4 Grease a 13X9 baking dish. Press zucchini into the bottom of the dish. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes in a 400 degree preheated oven.
- Step 5 Cook ground beef and onion in a stovetop skillet until no longer pink. Crumble beef and drain. Stir in tomato sauce. Spoon over zucchini mixture.
- Step 6 Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Top with peppers. Continue to bake for an additional 20 minutes or until heated through.
Leave us your comments and love down below!