If ever there were a dish that tastes like Fall, this is it! Pear & Sausage Rigatoni is a truly unique combination of flavors and textures. A delicious mix of sweet, savory, creamy and even crunchy make this rustic pasta dish an instant hit. There’s […]
Tag: <span>pasta recipes</span>
Summer’s heating up this week in Buffalo but our One Pan Skillet Lasagna is here to save the day! No need to crank up the oven for this one pan wonder. It’s made completely on the stovetop to help you beat the heat. This quick […]
I’ve been making this Creamy Macaroni and Cheese recipe for about 10 years now and it’s literally THE BEST!! It’s so good in fact that it’s the ONLY mac and cheese recipe that gets made in our house! My hubby went to college at Penn State and we love this recipe because it reminds us of the macaroni and cheese served at The Corner Room in State College. He was obsessed with trying to duplicate their recipe and I stumbled across this one in a cookbook that looked pretty darn close. Boy was it right on point! The sauce is everything you want, thick, creamy and loaded with cheddar flavor. This classic macaroni and cheese recipe is made from scratch and easy to make. One bite and you’ll see why it’s our favorite!
Here’s all you’ll need: elbow macaroni, butter, flour, milk, sour cream, Velveeta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, ground mustard, and cheddar cheese.
Start by cooking the elbow noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Once it’s completely melted, stir in the flour to form a paste. This will act as the base for that rich and creamy sauce!
Gradually add the milk half a cup at a time and stir until smooth. I’ll add half a cup and stir until it starts to thicken slightly before adding more liquid.
Bring to a boil over medium heat and continue to stir until thickened, and I mean REALLY thick. Like pudding thick. This is the stick to your ribs kind of macaroni and cheese that we all know and love! It is doesn’t full on boil, that’s fine as long as it’s a nice, creamy consistency.
Next reduce the heat and stir in the sour cream, Velveeta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and ground mustard until smooth. Continue to stir until the cheese is completely melted.
Lightly spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add the elbow noodles to the dish and toss with cheddar cheese. If you’re a fan of the crispy, cheesy top on your macaroni and cheese, then only add one cup of cheese during this step. Then top the casserole with the remaining cheese. We like to mix it up in our house!
Stir in the cheese sauce. This is NOT your blue box powdered cheese sauce! (not that there’s anything wrong with that)
Lightly fold in the sauce until every single inch of elbow noodles are covered in cheesy goodness!!! Bake uncovered in a 350 degree preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. The sauce will be nice and bubbly!
Grab yourself a fork and dive right in! The leftovers reheat wonderfully too…..if there are any!
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1-1/2 milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Step 1 Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain pasta and set aside.
- Step 2 Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Stir in the flour to form a paste.
- Step 3 Gradually add the milk, half a cup at a time. Boil over medium heat, continually stirring for about 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Step 4 Reduce the heat and stir in the sour cream, Velveeta cheese, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and ground mustard until smooth. Stir until the cheese is melted.
- Step 5 Lightly spray a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Add the elbow noodles to the dish and toss with cheddar cheese.
- Step 6 Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles. Lightly fold in the sauce until the noodles are completely covered.
- Step 7 Bake uncovered in a 350 degree preheated oven for 35-40 minutes. Enjoy!!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below!
There’s something about a good pasta dish that just can’t be beat! Bring on the carbs!! Penne Gorgonzola with Chicken has that fancy Italian restaurant feel but I’ll let you in on a little secret…..it actually comes together in a snap! Besides boiling the pasta, […]