What’s for dinner tonight? Let’s take it nice and easy and whip up a batch of One-Pot Lemon Chicken Orzo! You’re gonna love this recipe for SO many reasons. First off it’s fast and easy to make which means it’s perfect for a busy weeknight […]
Tag: <span>weeknight dinner</span>
Hi! My name’s Lisa and I’m starting to become addicted to pressure cooking. It hasn’t always been that way though. I had always wanted to try pressure cooking but didn’t really know how to get started. I had no knowledge or experience using this type […]
Looking for the ultimate party food to feed a hungry crowd? Or maybe you just need a new and exciting weeknight family dinner recipe? Well Meatball Sub Casserole is kinda both! This easy oven meal is savory and SO delicious. If you’re a meatball sub lover, you’re gonna be hooked on this one. I promise. All the best parts of meatball subs join forces to create this one of a kind, tasty dinner. The best part? You can even make the meatballs ahead of time to cut down on the prep work. Get ready to be the hero of dinner tonight!
Here’s all you’ll need: green onions, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, ground beef, French bread, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning, pepper, mozzarella, spaghetti sauce, garlic, and parsley.
Let’s get started on those mini meatballs! In a medium sized bowl, combine the green onions, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Green onions lend a nice, mild flavor to these tasty lil meatballs.
Add the beef and mix well. Go ahead and roll up those sleeves. Everybody knows the best tool for mixing meatballs is your two. bare. hands!
Next shape the meat mixture into 1-inch balls. A cookie scoop with help to keep the batch nice and uniform, but you’re more than welcome to freestyle it. Isn’t it crazy how even meatballs are cuter when they’re mini sized!?! Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray with cooking spray and place the meatballs on top. Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
Looking to save a little time? Swap out for frozen pre cooked meatballs. Or you can even make our mini version ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze until you’re ready to assemble the Meatball Sub Casserole.
While the meatballs are baking, we can get rolling on the rest of this casserole. Chop the French bread into 1-inch cubes. Place them in the bottom of a 13X9″ baking dish. Day old French Bread works best for Meatball Sub Casserole. It’ll keep the casserole from getting too soggy.
Mix together the softened cream cheese, mayo, Italian seasoning and pepper in a small bowl. We don’t want any cream cheese clumps. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.
Spread the cream cheese mixture over top of the cubed bread. Then top with 1/2 a cup of mozzarella because who doesn’t love a hidden layer of cheese??? Seriously!!!
In a large bowl, add the spaghetti sauce (Chef’s is our local favorite!), water and garlic. Mix well to combine then add in the meatballs. Pour the sauce mixture over the bread. Yep! All of it. Try to spread out those meatballs if you can.
And of course Meatball Sub Casserole wouldn’t be complete without a top layer of cheese!! Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella to cover the casserole. Bake uncovered, in a 350 degree preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. The cheese should be melted and the casserole heated through.
Garnish with parsley and let’s dig in! Absolutely, positively, 100% delicious!!! Look at all that cheesy goodness!! I feel a food coma coming on! If you’re digging this recipe, you’ll seriously love our Pizza Zucchini Casserole too.
Meatball Sub Casserole
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 loaf (1-lb)French bread
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 jar (20 oz) spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- Step 1 In a medium sized bowl, combine the green onions, bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Add the beef and mix well.
- Step 2 Shape the meat mixture into 1-inch balls. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray with cooking spray and place the meatballs on top. Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 8-10 minutes.
- Step 3 Chop the French bread into 1-inch cubes. Place them in the bottom of a 13X9″ baking dish.
- Step 4 Mix together the softened cream cheese, mayo, Italian seasoning and pepper in a small bowl. Spread the cream cheese mixture over top of the bread cubes. Top with 1/2 a cup of mozzarella.
- Step 5 In a large bowl, add the spaghetti sauce, water and garlic. Mix well to combine then add in the meatballs. Pour the sauce mixture over the bread.
- Step 6 Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella to cover the casserole. Bake uncovered, in a 350 degree preheated oven for 25-30 minutes. Garnish with parsley if desired. Enjoy!
We’d love to hear from you! Leave us your comments and love down below!
Shop this recipe!